Rules and FAQ
Application Rules & Guidelines:
This Appleton Estate regional "mixologist/bartender" competition is called "REMIXOLOGY". Your goal is to create a beautifully balanced original Appleton Estate Reserve cocktail with harmony of ingredients inspired by your favorite published song.
Your Appleton Estate Reserve cocktail will be judged not only on taste and originality, but presentation, creativity and inspiration from Song to Cocktail.
- Be a U.S. citizen over 21 years old that speaks fluent English
- Possess no criminal record
- Be able to present a valid passport for possible foreign travel
- Contestants must be actively affiliated with an on-premise account and provide a bar/restaurant/club release signed by an authorized officer of each bar/restaurant/club allowing Appleton Estate to feature and/or mention the establishment in all communication.
Overview:Your inspired Appleton Estate Reserve cocktail recipe listing all ingredients/measurements, a photo of the cocktail, the cocktail name and the selected song and artist providing the inspiration along with a brief description of the inspirational path from song to cocktail should be submitted to www.AppletonReserveMixologyChallenge.com no later than Saturday, July 21, 2012 8 pm EST (5 pm PST). Kobrand Corporation reserves the right to extend the entry deadline.
- Your cocktail must contain Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaica Rum as the main ingredient.
- Your cocktail must be inspired by a recognizable, published song.
- Your cocktail must have a creative name.
- All recipes shall be original creations.
- Your cocktail recipe should be presented in ounces, drops or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- All ingredients should be expected to be available to most bars or easily acquired/made.
- All ingredients should be available year-round - nothing seasonal.
- All ingredients should be obtainable - or should be able to be made from scratch - without undue difficulty or expense anywhere within the continental U.S.
- Cocktails made with inappropriate ingredients will be disqualified with the determination of what constitutes an inappropriate ingredient up to the discretion of the judging committee.
- Top 5 contestants from each market will be chosen by master mixologist Willy Shine and their names will be featured on www.AppletonReserveMixologyChallenge.com, Appleton Estate social media web pages and presented to trade and local press.
- Five (5) contestants will be chosen to compete in their market at a local venue (Venues TBD)
- Semi-final events will be held on
New York City: August 6, 2012
San Francisco: August 13, 2012
Boston: August 20, 2012
Miami: August 27, 2012
- You do not need to be present at the regional semi-finals unless you are chosen in the top 5 (transportation to the regional semi-finals is the contestant's responsibility.)
- The five (5) selected contestants will be asked to integrate their song inspiration into their cocktail preparation (singing and dancing strongly encouraged).
- After presenting their primary entry, these five (5) contestants will be asked to create a new Appleton Estate Reserve cocktail inspired by a contestant-selected song from a predetermined music genre. Each contestant will be assigned a specific music genre at random upon notification of selection to participate in the "regional semi-finals".
- If a successful progression in the "regional semi-finals" to "finals" occurs the contestant must be available to participate in a finalist event in New York City to showcase their recipe against finalists from the other cities. The NYC Finalist event dates are September 9-11, 2012 (transportation within the US to NYC is paid by the Kobrand Corporation.)
- If you are successful at the NYC finals you must be able to travel to Jamaica October 23, 2012 through October 29, 2012 for an expenses paid (round trip coach airfare, hotel accommodations, transportation and reasonable incidentals - value estimated at approximately $6,000.00) winner's trip and represent the United States in the Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum International Bartender Challenge. (Valid passport required and remains the responsibility of the contestant)
- Applicants must be comfortable with the media and the sharing of their recipe, images and personal information for in-market promotion and press opportunities. A formal release (traditional press, facebook, you-tube and other forms of social media are included) will be executed.
- The competing bartenders may not have in existence at the time of the NYC finals or the winner's trip to Jamaica a contract (directly or indirectly) with another company to act as an ambassador, spokesperson and/or consultant for that company and/or its brands.
Note: bartending equipment will not be provided for the finalists to demonstrate their skills and cocktail creation. They will be asked to bring their own equipment to the NYC finals, if selected.
- We will on occasion contact participants via e-mail to share Appleton Estate related news and announce Remixology updates and results. You acknowledge and accept receiving such communication and understand you always have the option to opt out.
- The five regional participants whose submissions have been chosen must cover their expenses, should there be any, to the semi-final city they have identified on the registration documentation. If successful in the regional semi-final Kobrand/Appleton will pick-up the related costs (round trip coach airfare, hotel accommodations, transportation and reasonable incidentals - value estimated at approximately $2,500.00) to bring the winning regional finalist(s) selected from each city to the finals in NYC. Kobrand/Appleton will also pick up related costs paid (round trip coach airfare, hotel accommodations, transportation and reasonable incidentals - value estimated at approximately $6,000.00) for the winning NYC finalist to travel to Jamaica (see above).
- Selections made by judges of the winning participants at the all stages of the program are final.
In summary, the Regional semi-finalists must be available to:
- Travel to New York City for the U.S. finalist competition September 9, 2012 through September 11, 20122
- Grand Prize Winner - Travel to Jamaica the week of October 23, 2012 through October 29, 2012 (valid passport required.)
- If travel to these locations on these dates is not possible then we respectfully ask that you withhold your submission.
- All traditional/related expenses for the NYC finalist competition and to Jamaica trip for the winning participant will be paid by the Kobrand Corporation.